DeepMar supports Oceaneering International, Inc. to receive 2016 Safety in Seas Safety Practice Award from the National Ocean Industries Association (NOIA) for its “innovative and incident-free completion of a subsea well stimulation campaign, using a multipurpose service vessel instead of a work-over rig.”
Each year an independent panel of judges, consisting of representatives from the U.S. Coast Guard, the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement, and the National Academy of Sciences Transportation Review Board as well as an industry safety consultant, selects the winning entry.
DeepMar Consulting was in turn recognized by Oceaneering for providing technical support to the engineering and project management team to improve design and operational assurance, which resulted in improved safety and reliability of the operations.
The Reward and Risk of Multi-Service Vessels
Subsea interventions conducted from a multi-service vessel instead of a rig are lower cost and provide greatly improved return on investment. The challenges of using such a vessel are increased weather sensitivity, enhanced motions, and smaller operational footprint for equipment placement. These conditions require a high awareness of safety, improved understanding of the limits of equipment, and seamless operational integration among marine operations, well isolation equipment, controls, and personnel.
How DeepMar Collaboration Improved Safety
DeepMar worked interactively with Oceaneering to improve innovation, organizational knowledge, and process management during this operation. By allowing DeepMar Consulting to work collaboratively during the design, build, and offshore operations phases, Oceaneering was able to see such benefits as:
- Improved design assurance and understanding of performance limits to achieve integrated operational solutions.
- A team focus on identification of function and operational limits to support implementation of safety strategy and associated critical well isolation barriers.
- Greater knowledge of challenges and early identification of risks to enable future improved safety, reliability and efficiency.
- Greater integration of the various teams.
- Technical leadership through the uncontrollable challenges of bad weather and high-current environments.
Because DeepMar specializes in design and operational assurance through detail front end planning and application of years of experience, we were able to help Oceaneering get the recognition they deserve.